Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Manner in Which I Earn My Rent, John

Dear readers, now that I've achieved some modicum of success, I find it incumbent upon myself to disclose perhaps the single greatest impediment to my ultimate goal: I am a telemarketer. Lacking a trust fund, or the fortitude to survive under the conformist pressure of corporate America, I have turned to that bastion of the unsuccessful artist, that haven of single mothers, that last refuge for the unambitious. Yes, that pest whom annoys you daily at dinner time and I are one in the same.

Now, having laid out ample cause for alarm, I hasten to add that the job is not all bad. In fact, aside from the disdain with which the public holds the profession, it is scarcely bad at all. The hours are flexible, the pay decent, and once one has mastered one's fear of rejection, it's not particularly difficult. The most appealing part of the telemarketing, however, is the colorful characters with whom one interacts on a daily basis. I do not speak of the sad sacks whom we call, but those worthies with whom we work. As alluded to above, they are artists--actors between parts, painters between grants, directors between producers--sweet, sassy, hardworking single mothers drawn in by the flexible hours, and, most enticing of all, those unambitious nonconformists whom, for whatever reason, are simply not cut out for other work.

One such telemarketer, whom I know only as "Tex," wears a cowboy hat and boots--with spurs!--in the office, every single day. He never speaks, either to me, or any of our fellow coworkers; in fact, the only time we hear his voice is when he makes sales calls, during which time he speaks crisp, unaccented English. All in all, he is enveloped in an impenetrable shroud of mystery that I find quite intriguing. Granted, this mystery may well be solved when he brings in a six shooter and uses us as target practice, but until such a time, I consider him a delicious distraction from the daily monotony.

There is also a shared camradrie between us, and a reckless spirit which finds its outlet in various games and contests we employ to help pass the time. For example, in our office, Talk Like A Pirate Day is not just a wry Internet phenomenon, but rather an opportunity to see who can employ more pirate vernacular during a sales call. Or there was the day where, at John's rather brilliant suggestion, we adopted fake Indian accents for all our calls. Granted, this wound up exposing a virulent strain of racism in our office, and left our sales efforts in shambles, but in terms of livening up our day, it was entirely successful!

But I digress. The point is, if I wish to be a respected member of the hipster community, I lack a suitable job. I am also, for all the above reasons, reluctant to find a new profession, as interesting as (and these are just shots in the dark at respected hipster jobs) beekeeping, knitting, or tending bar might be. At the moment, I am not so enmeshed in the hipster community that this is an urgent problem, but a little advanced planning never hurts. I could, for example, construct a story in which I live off a trust fund and moonlight there to amuse myself, or tell a half-truth: that I work in an office filled with fascinating people and spend most of my time on the phone.

This problem will not be solved in a day (they rarely are!) but I hope to have worked out something by the time I'm invited to my first hipster party, during which such topics are sure to arise.

In other news, John and I have officially made up. He apologized, I apologized, we manfully shook hands, consumed several alcoholic beverages together, then leered drunkenly at the bar's female patrons. I have not, however, yet told him of this blog. You see, in the recent past, John started a blog, and I somewhat childishly (or so it seems now; at the time, it was all quite amusing) undermined him in the comments section as often as possible, relying on my vast knowledge as his closest friend for most of the past decade. I fear should he learn of this blog, he may be inclined to do the same to me.

John, if you should stumble across this, please accept my humble apologies for my juvenile behavior regarding your blog, and let me remind you of your wonderfully frank advice to me at the time, "Don't be an asshole."

Unresolved questions:

1. The title of my blog.
2. Animal Collective.
3. Suitable hipster professions.

Newly resolved:

1. Hipster-approved cold weather wear. A pea coat has been purchased, and is proving quite warm. Thank you, Anonymous!
2. John. I have forgiven him.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as you don't work for a major corporation or in the financial sector, you're good to go. However, it's most hip to be unemployed. At the same time most hipsters only care about your aspirations, and not your actual job. Most people you meet will claim to be a dancer/writer/musician/artist/etc, even if they haven't produced any work in years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. agree with bart above. Your job has flexible hours, which allows you to partee. Thats the main point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both! I'm glad to hear it's not such an impediment after all . . .

    ReplyDelete